31 Days of Sewing: Day 11
This is the third day of working on this simple lace blouse, Vogue pattern #V8927.
There is something about trying to finish a project on a deadline. I remember being up all night sewing when I had a design project due while in college.
There were always uncontrollable factors.
For example, thread getting caught in the machine that ruins a seam. It must be ripped out and re-sewn. Sometimes more than once.
Unexplained mistakes were also a hazard, such as extra fabric getting caught in the seam on the wrong side, an iron that scorches your fabric, or even accidentally cutting a small hole in your finished work.
This is the nature of sewing. There are only so many things you can control. The rest is left to the mercy of the universe.
Sewing at home doesn’t give you as many outs as a design show room does. In the show room, it’s easy to just recut a garment and start over. At home, you can’t just recut a garment that is messed up, no one can afford to do that.
When you sew for yourself you have to just go with the flow of things, and figure out how to minimize the damage.
Like today, I was determined to finish this blouse.
I had to run to the fabric store for more fabric (this would be the second time) because I forgot to cut two of the facing pieces.
Fortunately, they still had the fabric I needed.
I got home and began to sew, sew, sew.
The facings on this blouse are pretty straight forward, but there is a trick to making them flat and straight.
I like to under stitch everything as I go along. This technique of sewing the trimmed seam allowance to the facing keeps the fabric straight and flat.
It also gives you a nice guideline for topstitching on the right side.
On the right side, topstitch directly over the rows of under stitching. No one will be the wiser, and you will achieve a nice straight seam.
I also don’t bother with slip stitching any of the seam allowances, if you under stitch and topstitch it’s not really necessary and you get a better finish.
The hardest thing about sewing this garment is trying not to get the lace stuck in the feed dog of the sewing machine. I did alright to the very end, then I went to rip out the basting (the lace and the under pieces are basted together), and I cut a little hole in the lace.
Fortunately, it’s not really noticeable.
A dab of Fray Check keeps the hole from expanding.
I love that stuff, I can’t imagine sewing without it.
After my hole disaster, I only had the button holes left to complete. Two button holes into the project and I ran out of thread.
This is ridiculous, I haven’t run out of white thread since 1996.
Another trip to the fabric store is in order, this will be the third time for this project alone. Argggh!
Somethings have to be left up to the sewing universe to understand.
I persevered and finished the blouse. I do like the contrasting placket, collar and cuffs. The lace turned out quite nicely even with the tiny hole in it.
I look forward to starting my next project despite the odds.