Apple Kuchen is a traditional German dish. Similar to an apple crisp in texture, but with more flavor this desert is sure to become a family favorite! Cook it in a crock pot for a quick dish when you are low on time!
Rock the Crock Pot
Crock pot recipes are king in our house. I am always looking for new ways to make quick dishes that can cook while I am working on other projects or busy with work. This dessert is fantastic for dinner with friends or to have warm and ready when you come home from Trick or Treating.
Apple Kuchen is a traditional German dish made from freshly baked apples. You can use any good baking apple for this dish. We enjoy Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Winesap, Golden Delicious and various other varieties that our local orchard has on hand. Start with a single variety then add different apples to experiment with the unique flavors that they create.
My grandmother always served apple dishes with a slice of cheese on the side. This practice is a delightful way to finish a meal and takes away that over stuffed feeling if you ate too much for dinner. It really works!
Apple Kuchen Recipe
- 6 cups sliced and peeled baking apples, such as Granny Smith
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup flour or gluten free flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- Whip cream (optional)
- Slices of cheddar, co-jack, havarti or white cheddar cheese (optional)
- Core, slice and peel the apples. I use this apple peeler apple peeler for quick results.
- Place apples in crock pot. We love this crock pot crock pot
- Combine flour and spices. Cut in butter, add vanilla.
- My favorite vanilla vanilla
- Crumble the flour mixture and pour on top of the apples.
- Bake on low for about 4 hours until apples are soft and tender.
- Serve with whip cream and a slice of cheese.
If you love this recipe, try some of these other ideas: