We love this easy sandwich for a hearty lunch or a late night snack. Delicious on a budget and quick to make anytime!
What’s a Monte Cristo?
One of my favorite sandwiches is the Monte Cristo. It’s a french creation, originally called Croque Monsieur. Rich and satisfying, it is as yummy as it looks! Traditionally served for breakfast this is a popular staple at french cafe’s and is often served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and jam for dipping.
The high protein in the sandwich here comes from the bread being actually dipped in egg wash like french toast, then grilled to perfection. Load up your griddle with lots of grass fed butter when frying for the best flavor! I use coconut milk or almond milk occasionally for a different set of flavors.
- White or whole wheat bread
- Milk (1/3 cup per sandwich)
- Eggs (1 per sandwich)
- Slices of Mozzarella or Gruyere Cheese
- Sliced Deli Ham
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
- Jam (optional)
- Preheat griddle or cast iron frying pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter, let melt.
- Whip the egg and milk with a fork in a medium size bowl.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture, add to griddle.
- Layer the bread with the cheese and ham slices.
- Top with another piece of bread dipped in the egg mixture.
- Fry the sandwich for 3-5 until brown and cheese is melted.
- Turn sandwich and cook the other side until done.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and jam for dipping if desired.
Don’t forget to Pin it!
If you like this post, be sure to check out some of these other recipes:
Tomato Salsa with Five Delicious Fresh Garden Ingredients
Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.