We have had these old velvet chairs for several years. I have never really liked them, but they were free, compact in size and they seemed to fit in our small home rather easily.
They are our favorite places to sit for watching TV, reading books and knitting.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with them: they are clean, solid construction, no rips or tears.
Nothing wrong, other than they have a rather dated look to the upholstry.
If I had all the money in the world, I would probably not think twice about giving them away and buying something new.
However, I do not have a budget for new furniture. Perhaps someday I will.
But, not today.
These chairs have been an eye sore in our living space for so long that I have spent lots of time trying to decide what to do with them.
Slip covers would be hard to make for their awkward design.
Re-upholstery is too expensive.
So, I decided that Painted Velvet Chairs was the answer.
I have read a number of blog posts on Painting Velvet Chairs. Many of them were very involved and complicated.
The fabric had to be wet first.
The paint had to be mixed with additives to get it to adhere to the fabric.
Many used paste wax to soften the fabric after it was painted.
Multiple coats of products required days and days of drying time.
With all the various steps and multiple products involved, I was reluctant to proceed with painting the chairs.
That is, until I spotted this Rustoleum product on the shelf at the store.
ONE STEP APPLICATION, DESIGNED FOR UPHOLSTERY.
WOW! Leave it to Rustoleum to come up with a GREAT idea!
When Rustoleum offered to supply me with some product to try, I was thrilled to accept and give it a go.
This particular product is designed for automotive use. I decided it was a perfect fit for my velvet chairs, since many cars also have velvet upholstery.
I also decided that this product would probably be very durable, as our family of 6 can be rather hard on things.
I couldn’t wait to try it out. Yesterday was sunny and cool, a great day to work outside on the chairs.
My color choice was Charcoal Grey.
I choose it because it’s a beautiful neutral shade, and was dark enough to cover the denim blue chairs.
The first step was to remove the “skirt” on the bottom of the chair. I decided it made the chair look dated and would be hard to paint.
It was easy to remove with a screw driver and a hammer.
Then I removed any remaining staples with a needle nose plyer.
The chair cushions were painted separately, I leaned them up against a tree while working on them.
Once I began to paint, I got more and more excited.
This picture shows the color difference from blue to grey, it is rather subtle, but I love it.
The paint can attachment (pictured above) made all the difference for this project.
The attachment allows the paint to spray on completely evenly at multiple angles, with even coverage and no dribbling.
It also is far more comfortable on the fingers to use the attachment when spraying for long periods of time. I will never spray paint without it again.
Each chair took 3 cans of paint, and was enough for 2 coats per chair.
The paint dried quickly to the touch, but I left the chairs outside for several hours to be sure they were completely dry.
(Recommended drying time on the paint is 6 hours.)
In place of the skirt, I added 3/4″ nickel nail heads from Hobby Lobby. I used 3 packages per chair, and spaced them 2″ apart along the “seam” where the original skirt was attached.
A fabric pencil and a quilting tape made for easy placement.
Hammering them in place was easy.
I also added nail heads to the arms of the chairs in a staggered pattern. I could have purchased smaller nail heads to fit the dainty arms, but I decided I liked the larger ones better. I also like the staggered effect, I love the unexpected pattern that they make.
I forgot to mention that I also painted the feet of the chairs the same color, I like the modern look it gives them.
I love how these chairs turned out.
The original blue upholstery undertones give the new grey color depth and interest in my opinion.
I could have given them more than 2 coats of paint, as the velvet is rather absorbent, but I like how they look.
The paint makes the velvet slightly stiffer, it now has more of a corduroy fabric feel to it. I am okay with that.
My kids say the chairs are “more manly” this way.
Perfect for our Man Cave.
This project was easy to complete in the scope of an afternoon. Even though the fabric felt dry, we did notice an odor to them for a day or so. If you are chemically sensitive you may want to keep them in the garage for a day or two to air out before using them indoors.
We love these chairs, and they will be a part of our home for quite some time!